Last updated 18 - Apr - 2017
Gerard P. Cachon
Fred R. Sullivan Professor of Operations, Information, and Decisions
Professor of Marketing
543 Jon M Huntsman Hall
The Wharton School - University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia , PA 19104-6300
- UNPUBLISHED PAPERS
- Cachon, G. S. Gallino, M. Olivares. 2013. Does adding inventory increase sales: Evidence of a scarcity effect in U.S. automobile dealerships.
- Cachon, G. 1999. Competitive and cooperative inventory management in a two-echelon supply chain with lost sales.
- ARTICLES PUBLISHED IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Cachon, G., P. Feldman. 2016. Is advance selling desirable with competition?. Marketing Science 36(2). 195-213.
- Budish, E., G. Cachon, J. Kessler, A. Othman. 2016. Course Match: A Large-Scale Implementation of Approximate Competitive Equilibrium from Equal Incomes for Combinatorial Allocation. Operations Research 65(2). 314-336.
- Cachon, G., K. Daniels, R. Lobel. 2015. The role of surge pricing on a service platform with self-scheduling capacity. forthcoming Manufacturing & Service Operations Management
- Cachon, G., P. Feldman. 2015. Price Commitments with Strategic Consumers: Why it Can Be Optimal to Discount More Frequently ... Than Optimal. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 17(3). 399-410.
- Park S.J., Cachon, G., Lai, G., Seshadri, S. 2015. Supply Chain Design and Carbon Penalty: Monopoly vs. Monopolistic Competition. Production and Operations Management . 24(9). 1494-1508.
- Cachon, G. 2014. Retail store density and the cost of greenhouse gas emissions . Management Science. 60(8). 1907-1925.
- Cachon, G. 2012. What is interesting, in operations management?Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 14(2). 166-169.
- Swinney, R., Cachon, G., S. Netessine. 2011. Capacity investment timing by start-ups and established firms in new markets . Management Science. 57(4). 763-777.
- Cachon, G., R. Swinney. 2011. The value of fast fashion: quick response, enhanced design, and strategic consumer behavior.Management Science. 57(4). 778-795.
- Cachon, G., P. Feldman. 2011. Pricing services subject to congestion: charge per-use fees or sell subscriptions?. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 13(2). 244-260.
- Cachon, G., G. Kok. 2010. Competing manufacturers in a retail supply chain: on contractual form and coordination. Management Science. 56(3). 571-589.
- Cachon, G., M. Olivares. 2010. Drivers of finished goods inventory in the U.S. automobile industry. Management Science. 56(1). 202-216.
- Olivares, M., G. Cachon, 2009. Competing retailers and inventory: an empirical investigation of General Motors' dealerships in isolated U.S. markets. Management Science. 55(9). 1586-1604.
- Cachon, G., R. Swinney. 2009. Purchasing, pricing and quick response in the presence of strategic consumers. Management Science. 55(3). 497-511
- Cachon, G., C. Terwiesch, Y. Xu. 2008. On the effects of consumer search and firm entry in a multiproduct competitive market. Marketing Science. 27(3). 461-473.
- Cachon, G., T. Randall, G. Schmidt. 2007. In search of the bullwhip effect. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 9(4). 457-479. M&SOM Best Paper Award Finalist for 2010
- Cachon, G., A. G. Kok. 2007. Implementation of the newsvendor model with clearance pricing: how to (and how not to) estimate a salvage value. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 9(3). 276-290.
- Cachon, G., A. G. Kok. 2007. Category management and coordination in retail assortment planning in the presence of basket shopping consumers. Management Science. 53(6). 934-951.
- Cachon, G., F. Zhang. 2007. Obtaining fast service in a queueing system via performance-based allocation of demand. Management Science. 53(3). 408-420.
- Cachon, G., F. Zhang. 2006. Procuring fast delivery: sole sourcing with information asymmetry. Management Science. 52(6). 881-896.
- Cachon, G., C. Terwiesch, Y. Xu. 2005. Retail assortment planning in the presence of consumer search. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 7(4). 330-346.
- Cachon, G., M. Lariviere. 2005. Supply chain coordination with revenue sharing: strengths and limitations. Management Science. 51(1). 30-44
- Cachon, G. 2004. The allocation of inventory risk in a supply chain: push, pull and advance-purchase discount contracts. Management Science. 50(2). 222-238.
- Cachon, G., P. Harker. 2002. Competition and outsourcing with scale economies. Management Science. 48(10). 1314-1333.
- Cachon, G. 2001. Managing a retailer's shelf space, inventory and transportation. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 3(3). 211-229.
- Cachon, G. 2001. Stock wars: inventory competition in a two echelon supply chain. Operations Research. 49(5). 658-674.
- Cachon, G. 2001. Exact evaluation of batch-ordering policies in two-echelon supply chains with periodic review. Operations Research. 49(1). 79-98.
- Cachon, G., M. Lariviere. 2001. Contracting to assure supply: how to share demand forecasts in a supply chain. Management Science. 47(5). 629-46.
- Cachon, G., M. Fisher. 2000. Supply chain inventory management and the value of shared information. Management Science 46(8). 1032-1048.
- Schweitzer, M., G. Cachon. 2000. Decision bias in the newsvendor problem with a known demand distribution: experimental evidence. Management Science 46(3). 404-420.
- Cachon, G., M. Lariviere. 1999. An equilibrium analysis of linear and proportional allocation of scarce capacity. IIE Transactions 31(9). 835-850.
- Cachon, G., M. Lariviere. 1999. Capacity choice and allocation: strategic behavior and supply chain performance. Management Science 45(8). 1091-1108.
- Cachon, G., P. Zipkin. 1999. Competitive and cooperative inventory policies in a 2 stage supply chain. Management Science 45(7). 936-953.
- Cachon, G. 1999. Managing supply chain demand variability with scheduled ordering policies. Management Science 45(6). 843-856.
- Cachon, G., M. Lariviere. 1999. Capacity allocation with past sales: when to turn-and-earn. Management Science 45. 685-703.
- Cachon, G., M. Fisher. 1997. Campbell Soup's Continuous Product Replenishment Program: evaluation and enhanced decision rules. Production and Operations Management. 6 266-275.
- Cachon, G., C. Camerer. 1996. Loss avoidance and forward induction in coordination games. Quarterly Journal of Economics 112. 165-194.
- BOOK CHAPTERS
- Cachon, G., R. Swinney. 2008. The Impact of Strategic Consumer Behavior on the Value of Operational Flexibility. Operations Management Models with Consumer-Driven Demand, edited by Serguei Netessine and Christopher Tang.
- Cachon, G., S. Netessine. 2004. Game theoretic applications in supply chain analysis. Supply Chain Analysis in the eBusiness Era, edited by David Simchi-Levi and S. David Wu and Zuo-Jun (Max) Shen and published by Kluwer.
- Cachon, G. 2003. Supply chain coordination with contracts. Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science: Supply Chain Management, edited by Steve Graves and Ton de Kok. North-Holland.
- Cachon, G. 1998. Competitive supply chain inventory management. in Quantitative Models for Supply Chain Management. eds. S. Tayur, R. Ganeshan and M. Magazine. Boston, Kluwer.
- OTHER ARTICLES
- Cachon, G., M. Lariviere. 2001. Turning the supply chain into a revenue chain. Harvard Business Review. March.