Katherine L. Milkman
Assistant Professor of Operations and Information Management
- McGinn, K.L. and K.L. Milkman (in press). Looking up and looking out: Career mobility effects of demographic similarity among professionals. Organization Science.
- Milkman, K.L., Beshears, J., J.J. Choi, D. Laibson, and B.C. Madrian (2013). Planning prompts as a means of increasing preventive screening rates. Preventive Medicine, Vol. 56, 92-93.
- Milkman, K.L. (2012). Unsure what the future will bring? You may overindulge: Uncertainty increases the appeal of wants over shoulds. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 119, 163-176.
- Milkman, K.L., M. Akinola, and D. Chugh (2012). Temporal distance and discrimination: An audit study in academia. Psychological Science, Vol. 27, 710-717.
- Berger, J. and K.L. Milkman (2012). What makes online content viral? Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 49, 192-205.
- Staats, B.R., K.L. Milkman, and C. Fox (2012). The team scaling fallacy: Underestimating the declining efficiency of larger teams. Organization Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol 118, 132-142.
- Milkman, K.L., M.C. Mazza, L.L. Shu, C. Tsay, and M.H. Bazerman (2012). Policy bundling to overcome loss aversion: A method for improving legislative outcomes. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 117, 158-167.
- McGinn, K.L., K.L. Milkman and M. Noth (2012). Walking the talk in multiparty bargaining: An experimental investigation. Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol. 33, 278-291.
- Milkman, K.L., J. Beshears, J.J. Choi, D. Laibson, and B.C. Madrian (2011). Using implementation intentions prompts to enhance influenza vaccination rates. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 108, 10415-10420.
Beshears, J. and K.L. Milkman (2011). Do sell-side stock analysts exhibit escalation of commitment? Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. 77, 304-317.
Milkman, K.L., T. Rogers and M.H. Bazerman (2010). I'll have the ice cream soon and the vegetables later: A study of online grocery purchases and order lead time. Marketing Letters, Vol. 21, No. 1, 17-36.
Milkman, K.L., D. Chugh and M.H. Bazerman (2009). How can decision making be improved? Perspectives on Psychological Science, Vol. 4, No. 4, 379-383.
Milkman, K.L. and J. Beshears (2009). Mental accounting and small windfalls: Evidence from an online grocer. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. 71, No. 2, 384-394.
Milkman, K.L., T. Rogers and M.H. Bazerman (2009). Highbrow films gather dust: Time-inconsistent preferences and online DVD rentals. Management Science, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1047-1059.
Martin, J.M., J. Beshears, K.L. Milkman, M.H. Bazerman and L. Sutherland (2009). Modeling expert opinions on food healthiness: A nutrition metric. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, Vol. 109, No. 6, 1088-1091.
Milkman, K.L., T. Rogers and M.H. Bazerman (2008). Harnessing our inner angels and demons: What we have learned about want/should conflicts and how that knowledge can help us reduce short-sighted decision making. Perspectives on Psychological Science, Vol. 3, 324-338.
Milkman, K.L., J. Burns, D.C. Parkes, G. Barron and K. Tumer (2008). Testing a purportedly more learnable auction mechanism. Applied Economics Research Bulletin, Vol. 2, 106-141.
Milkman, K.L., R. Carmona and W. Gleason (2007). A statistical analysis of editorial influence and author-character similarities in 1990s New Yorker fiction. Journal of Literary and Linguistic Computing, Vol. 22, 305-328.
Kelly, T.F., K.L. Milkman (2013). Escalation of commitment. In E.H. Kessler (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Management Theory, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
Dai, H., K.L. Milkman, Beshears, J., J.J. Choi, D. Laibson, and B.C. Madrian (2012). Planning prompts as a means of increasing rates of immunization and preventive screening. Public Policy & Aging Report, Vol. 22, No. 4, 16-19.
Milkman, K.L. (2008). Forethought: Tapping consumers' desire for 'shoulds'. Harvard Business Review, July/August.
Beshears, J., J.J. Choi, D. Laibson, B.C. Madrian, and K.L. Milkman. The effect of peer information on retirement savings decisions. Revise & resubmit at Journal of Finance.
Milkman, K.L., J.A. Minson, and K.G.M. Volpp. Holding The Hunger Games hostage at the gym: An evaluation of temptation bundling. Revise & resubmit at Management Science.
Dai, H., Milkman, K.L. and J. Riis. The fresh start effect: Breaking points in life motivate virtuous behavior. Under review at Management Science.
Rogers, T., K.L. Milkman, L. John, and M. Norton. Making the best laid plans better: How plan-making increases follow-through. Under review at Behavioral Science Policy.
Milkman, K.L., M. Akinola, and D. Chugh. Where women and minorities face bias in the Academy.
Milkman, K.L. and M.E. Schweitzer. Teetering between cooperation and competition: Social comparisons and peer nominations.